Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Today's Muslim Woman

Okay, so the title sounds a bit cheesy, or maybe even a little too "media friendly", but don't fear. I have no intention of pigeon-holing American Muslim women and declaring "who we are" or "what we want" because the beauty of being a Muslimah in America is that we are all so different. We are different in our perceptions of Islam and we are different in our dress and family values. However, we have major similaries: we believe that there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah. Ameen!

So actually this post is more a question than an answer. What is important to YOU, beautiful Muslim woman? Or the Muslimahs you know? I have met many sisters that believe education is paramount. They believe getting a B.A. or even a Ph. D. is a necessity before embarking on the path towards bullding a marriage and family. They will often echo the words of the Prophet Muhammad (saws) "Seek knowledge, even in China" and "Seek Knowledge, from the cradle to the grave."

Being self-sufficient is important to many Muslim Women. They hold the example of the Prophet Muhammad's (saws) first wife Khadijah who was a prominent businesswoman in her time. She was also the most beloved of all the Phophet's wives.

Then there are the Muslimahs that believe that finding a husband and starting a family is the paramount for the Muslim woman. These women have a great deal of evidence from Qur'an and Sunnah that for Muslim women, our blessings will be recieved in the home. "The Prophet (saws) stated: 'Whoever chooses to follow my tradition must get married and produce offspring through marriage (and increase the population of Muslims) so that on the day of resurrection I shall confront other Ummah (nations) with the (great) numbers of my Ummah."

Many Muslim women in the West find a happy medium, trying to balance work, education and married life. But, being one of those women-ha ha!- it can be exhausting! I'm just being truthful. So what do I want for my daughters? I don't know. Perhaps I can raise them the best I know how according to this beautiful deen of Al-Islam and just pray Allah has Mercy on my girls, guiding them on the path that's best for them.

Your opinion is appreciated!